Here’s what’s new for home viewing on video-on-demand and Netflix, Amazon Prime and other streaming services.
TOP STREAMS FOR THE WEEK
• Claire Foy returns as Queen Elizabeth in the second season of “The Crown,” the impressive historical series from Oscar-nominated writer Peter Morgan. It’s one of the most acclaimed shows on Netflix, and this season takes royal couple Elizabeth and Philip (Matt Smith) through the socially turbulent ’60s. Ten episodes streaming on Netflix starting Friday.
• Amazon Prime launches the second season of the globe-trotting gearhead series “The Grand Tour” with Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May. New episodes arrive every Friday.
• “Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” (2017, PG-13) sends Marvel’s intergalactic team of misfit heroes on a colorful odyssey to the center of the universe with video game battles and hyperspace jumps to learn the meaning of family. With Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, guest star Kurt Russell, Baby Groot and a jukebox collection of 1970s pop tunes. It’s now on Netflix.
• TV is overwhelmed with superhero shows, but “Legion,” drawn from the Marvel Comics Universe and developed for FX by “Fargo” showrunner Noah Hawley, offers a unique take on the genre, with a schizophrenic mutant hero (Dan Stevens), a mind-warping villain, and a maniacal performance from Aubrey Plaza. The first season is now on Hulu.
• The minions are back in “Despicable Me 3” (2017, PG), where reformed villain Gru (voice of Steve Carell) meets his long-lost twin brother, Dru.
• Also new: the thriller “American Assassin” (2017, R) with Dylan O’Brien and Michael Keaton and the award-winning indie drama “Gook” (2017, not rated).
• Steven Spielberg brings the beloved boy adventurer of Herge’s graphic novels to the big screen in the animated “The Adventures of Tintin” (2011, PG).
• Tim Allen, Vincent D’Onofrio and Jessica Alba have an “El Camino Christmas” (2017, not rated) in the Netflix original comedy.
• The concert special “Barbra: The Music ... The Mem’ries ... The Magic!” (2017, not rated) presents Streisand live in Miami.
• Stand-up: “Craig Ferguson: Tickle Fight.”
AMAZON PRIME VIDEO
• “Holiday Inn” (1942), a musical for all seasons starring Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire as buddies and romantic rivals, introduced the classic holiday song “White Christmas.”
• Streaming TV: “Class” from BBC is a “Doctor Who” spinoff about time-traveling students.
• Michael Cera and Jonah Hill star in the raunchy high school comedy “Superbad” (2007, R).
• The modernist architecture of Columbus, Ind., is the star of the indie drama “Columbus” (2017, not rated).
• The romantic caper classic “The Thomas Crown Affair” (1968, R) stars Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway.
• Streaming TV: Jeffrey Donovan’s psychic con man is back in “Shut Eye: Season 2.”
• Mark Wahlberg and Kurt Russell star in “Deepwater Horizon” (2016, PG-13).
• True stories: “The Newspaperman: The Life and Times of Ben Bradlee” (2017, not rated) profiles the esteemed editor of The Washington Post.
NEW ON DISC
• “Despicable Me,” “American Assassin,” “Better Watch Out,” “Gook,” “Twin Peaks: A Limited Event Series.”
• “Logan Lucky,” “American Assassin,” “Better Watch Out,” “Ingrid Goes West,” “Pitch Perfect.”
• Sean Axmaker is a Seattle film critic and writer. His reviews of streaming movies and TV can be found at streamondemandathome.com.