CLEARFIELD — Terry Boal, 37, of Oil City, who is accused of injuring police officers and leading them on a high speed chase, waived his right to a preliminary hearing before Magisterial District Judge Richard Ireland Wednesday at Centralized Court held at the Clearfield County Jail.

According to the affidavit of probable cause, on Oct. 25 at 12:56 a.m. Clearfield Borough police officers Shawn Fye and Alex Burkett were on patrol on South Third Street when a vehicle pulled out from Boyer Street and almost struck their patrol vehicle.

A traffic stop was initiated on North Third Street near East Locust Street and during the stop, Boal showed signs of impairment. Police asked him to step from the vehicle but he instead started his vehicle and began to leave. Fye had his hands inside of the vehicle and was holding Boal at the time. Fye was dragged several feet before he was able to separate himself; he was struck by the “B” pillar of the vehicle as he disengaged.

The officers then returned to their patrol vehicle and pursued Boal. Police could see tire tracks on Bigler Avenue near the Daisy Street intersection where Boal lost control of the vehicle and it hit the curb. Police then saw Boal’s vehicle passing another vehicle in a no-passing zone on Bigler Avenue at a high rate of speed.

Boal continued east on Bigler Avenue traveling in excess of 60 miles per hour in a 35 mph zone, and sparks could be seen coming from underneath the vehicle. It was swerving in and out of the lane and nearly hit a utility pole. When the vehicle traveled underneath the Route 879 overpass, police saw Boal’s vehicle lose a tire.

As Boal continued on Route 322 past Beauty Lane, the sparks were becoming more visible and smoke was coming from Boal’s vehicle. When he crossed the bridge, the sparks became more abundant, red embers began coming from the vehicle and the smoke was thicker and more abundant as well.

Boal’s vehicle came to a stop in the center turning lane near the Kurtz Road intersection. Boal then got out of the vehicle, approached the officers and lay on the ground with his hands up, saying he was done.

Lawrence Township police were also present and Boal was arrested. Boal refused a chemical test and said he was wanted for a parole jump. Computer records showed that Boal was wanted in Venango County and he was placed in the Clearfield County Jail.

From the initial traffic stop on North Third Street to where he stopped, Boal drove about 2.2 miles. The tire/wheel marks on the road were 306 feet long.

Boal is incarcerated in the Clearfield County Jail in lieu of $30,000 monetary bail.

Two police officers received medical treatment at Penn Highlands Clearfield Hospital for injuries.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.