MAHAFFEY — For the second time in a two-week span, a Bell Township residence has been lost to fire.
A blaze Tuesday evening tore through a home at 11251 Burnside-McGee Highway owned by John and Isabel Gearhart.
Community Volunteer Fire Department of Mahaffey Chief Bryan Sheeder said the company was dispatched at about 10:30 p.m. for a report of a working fire. He said about 50 firefighters from companies in Clearfield, Cambria, Jefferson and Indiana counties battled the flames, remaining on scene approximately four hours.
Sheeder reported an investigation by the state police Fire Marshal determined the fire was accidental in nature, but Sheeder said it is believed to have started in a pilot light in the family’s stove.
He had no estimate of damage at press time but did state the family has no insurance coverage.
Both members of the family were displaced. They are currently staying with one of their children in Hillsdale, Indiana County. The Red Cross was called in to assist them.
In addition to Community Vol. Fire Co., firefighters from Grampian-Penn-Bloom, Rescue Hose & Ladder of Curwensville, Westover, Burnside, Brady Township, Cherry Tree, Northern Cambria, Patton, Big Run and Sykesville helped to extinguish the flames.
Hyde Fire Co. was stationed at Mahaffey Firehall and North Point Fire Co. of DuBois was on standby at Grampian for both Grampian-Penn-Bloom and Rescue Hose and Ladder Co. of Curwensville.
On Dec. 4, a blaze destroyed a home on Covered Bridge Road.