HERSHEY — Brockway freshman Anthony Glasl made a big splash in his states debut Thursday, as the Rover pinned Cambria Heights sophomore Allen Simmons in their 106-pound first round match at the PIAA Class AA Wrestling Championships at the Giant Center.

Glasl’s third-period fall in 4:44 landed him in today’s quarterfinals against Southeast region champion Nate Smith (40-5), a freshman from Bishop McDevitt in Harrisburg. Glasl will be joined in action on Day 2 by a trio of Ridgway wrestlers — senior Colton McClain and juniors Logen McClain and Kyle Bush.

Logen McClain also notched a win in his states debut — a 10-0 major decision of Northern Lebanon senior Zach Kelly — to reach the 138 pound quarterfinals.

Older brother Colton McClain, a returning state qualifier, went 1-1 to stay alive in the heavyweight bracket, while Bush lost in his first match in Hershey but also advanced to Day 2.

Elkers junior Bryce Barclay (126 pounds) and Lukas McClain (132), along with Curwensville sophomore Blake Passarelli (113) all went 0-2 at their respective weights and were eliminated Thursday. Passarelli was a returning state qualifier, while Barclay and Lukas McClain were making their first appearances in Chocolatetown.

Glasl and Simmons wrestled a scoreless first period, then the Rover chose bottom in the second. Simmons rode Glasl for over a minute, but the Rover eventually reversed Simmons with 44 seconds left in the period to grab a 2-0 lead.

Glasl took that 2-0 advantage into the third, where Simmons elected to go bottom. That choice didn’t bode well for the Highlander, as Glasl put Simmons on his back and pinned him 44 seconds into the period to capture his first win in the Giant center.

Smith, Glasl’s quarterfinal opponent, edged Penns Valley sophomore Baylor Shunk, 8-7, in his first-round match Thursday.

Ridgway brought its largest contingent to state since the Gary Gerber era, and Logen McClain carried the Elker banner Thursday with his first-round victory.

McClain jumped on Kelly early with a first-period takedown before putting him on his back twice — scoring three nearfall points each time — to take a commanding 8-0 lead after one period.

Kelly chose top in the second, only to see McClain escape to make it 9-0. The Elker added another escape in the third period to come away with the 10-0 major decision.

The win earned McClain a quarterfinal date with three-time state medalist Max Murin (37-0), a senior from Central Cambria. Murin, a state runner-up last year, won a state title two years ago as a sophomore.

Colton McClain (31-6) was the only other Ridgway wrestler to post a win Thursday, as the heavyweight pinned Everett senior Kyle Peterson from the top position in the second period in 3:37.

The pair wrestled a scoreless first period, then McClain turned the Warrior for two backpoints just over a minute into the second period before securing the fall with 23 seconds left in the period.

The Elker then dropped a 9-4 first-round decision to Tri-Valley junior Dan Scheib (37-2) to drop into the consolation bracket. Scheib seized control of their match-up with three first-period takedowns to lead 6-3 after one period.

McClain faces Wyalusing senior Dawson Otis (43-5) in today’s second round of consolations. Otis finished sixth in Hershey a year ago.

Bush (28-4), the Northwest Regional champ, also is still alive today despite losing his first round matchup to Everett sophomore Garret Cornell (34-4), 9-4.

The Elker held a 3-2 lead early in the second period after reversing the Warrior. However, Cornell, a returning state qualifier, countered with a reversal and two backpoints to lead 6-3 after two periods.

Cornell then sealed his victory with an escape and takedown in the third period.

Bush faces Freedom Area Zachary Ward (39-7) in today’s consolation second round, with the victor needing a second win today to land on the podium.

Barclay and Lukas McClain each saw their first trips to Hershey end in 0-2 days.

Barclay (27-10) dropped a pair of close heartbreakers.

In his opener, Barclay led 2-1 after one period against Notre Dame-Green Pond sophomore Nicholas Vonelli (35-12), only to see Vonelli grab the lead in the second with an escape and takedown.

Barclay had an answer and tied the score at 4-4 with an escape late in the second and another from the bottom position with 55 seconds left in the third.

However, Vonelli notched a takedown with 32 seconds left to go up 6-4. While Barclay did earn an escape with 12 seconds left, he could not come up with the winning takedown.

Barclay suffered an even tougher loss in the consy bracket as he used an escape and takedown in the third period to rally from a 3-0 deficit to force overtime against Reynolds’ Gage Bayless (29-9). In that extra period, Bayless was awarded a takedown during a flurry with five seconds on the clock to pull out a 5-3 victory to stay alive.

Teammate Lukas McClain (26-10) lost a close of his own in his first-round match at 132, as Tamaqua senior Tanner McHugh (37-4) edged the Elker, 5-4. McHugh, an eighth-place finisher a year ago, scored all five of his points in the second period on and escape and a pair of takedowns.

McClain escaped six seconds into the third period to get within a point at 5-4, but McHugh held off the Elker the remainder of the period to pull out the one-point victory.

McClain then saw his stay in Hershey come to an end with a 10-4 loss to Bradford’s Tyler Thompson (34-8) in the first round of consolations.

As for Passarelli, the Golden Tide sophomore struggled to score points Thursday. He started the tournament with a 6-1 loss to Bryan Gaul, a sophomore from Burrell.

Gaul opened the scoring with a first-period takedown, then turned Passarelli from the top position for three backpoints in the second for a 5-0 lead. Passarelli earned an escape late in the period to make it 5-1.

The Buccaneer chose down in the third and escaped from Passarelli with 1:14 to go before fighting off the Tide sophomore on his feet the rest of the way to come away with the 6-1 victory.

The loss dropped Passarelli in the consolation bracket and a date with Brookville senior Keelan Kunselman, a returning fifth-place medalist. Kunselman dropped a tough 2-1 decision to Notre Dame-Green Pond sophomore Richie Markulics in the 113-pound first round. Markulics placed eighth a year ago.

Kunselman seized control of their first-round consy bout with a first-period takedown before adding three backpoints with two seconds left in the period to lead 5-0.

The Raider added to that lead in the second with an escape to go along with a stalling point and penalty point to lead 8-0 after two periods. Passarelli chose neutral in the third, and the pair battled on their feet the entire way with Kunselman coming away with the 8-0 victory to stay live and knock Passarelli out of the tournament.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.