CLARION – The Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grades have been released for the fall, and Clarion Hospital has achieved a “B” rating for Fall 2017.

“Through teamwork and dedication of the staff to continually provide quality care to our patients, we improved our marks once again, achieving a ‘B’ letter grade,” a press release from the hospital stated.

Out of 128 hospitals that were scored in Pennsylvania, 38 achieved an A, 33 achieved a B, 52 hospitals are at a C rating, while three are a D. That means that 57 percent of Pennsylvania hospitals received a B or greater, leaving 43 percent with a C or below.

Clarion Hospital’s rating just barely missed an A grade, with the local hospital scoring 3.0156, just shy of the A ring of 3.159.

“[That] gives us something to strive for in the Spring of 2018,” the hospital’s press release stated. “It is as a team that we continually improve and every individual employee plays a part.”

Hospital officials said that by implementing National Quality Forum (NQF): Safe Practices for Better Health Care throughout the local facility, “we have made organizational and structural changes to improve our process.”

“We have a focus on ‘a Culture of Safety,’” according to Melissa Polito, Quality Director/Patient Safety Officer at Clarion Hospital. “We have a commitment to each and every one of our patients to deliver the best and safest healthcare possible, and continue to keep quality healthcare close to home in Clarion.”

Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grades are assigned to more than 2,600 general acute care hospitals across the nation. This biannual evaluation grades hospitals using national performance measures from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), the Leapfrog Hospital Survey, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the American Hospital Association’s Annual Survey and Health Information Technology Supplement. Together the performance measures produce a single letter grade representing a hospital’s overall performance in keeping patients safe from preventable harm and medical errors.

“We are a patient safety-focused facility, delivering quality care to our patients each and every day is our goal,” Clarion Hospital Interim CEO Al Taylor said. “We continue our focus on improving our processes that will in turn increase the quality of care that we deliver to our patients on a daily basis.”

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.